Saturday, July 14, 2012

Wednesday: Philadelphia, PA, Day 1

My first full day in Philadelphia was dedicated mostly to the Independence National Historical Park. As you might guess from the name, it is chock full of history related to our independence. The hall where the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution were signed, the buildings that housed our government before DC, the Liberty Bell, the Second Bank of the United States, all tgat stuff. Most edifying. I particularly liked the Thaddeus Kosciuszko National Memorial. Seriously, read about that guy, he rocks.

I also had a hefty colonial-style meal at City Tavern and drank shrub, which is better than it sounds. Also, I checked out the Independence Seaport Museum (cool ship models, and a steel-hulled warship and diesel submarine to tour) and the Chemical Heritage Foundation Museum (sciencey!). And that was all I had time for due to an ill-advised detour to the Old Swedes church. It is old, Swedish, and way out of the way. Oh, and can you believe they charge admission to the graveyard where Ben Franklin is buried?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I can believe they charge admission to the graveyard where Ben Franklin is buried. To not do so would be un-American. You've just been spoiled by all of those beautiful, free cemeteries in New Orleans.

    ReplyDelete