"But it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio." --Lafcadio Hearn
Tuesday, July 3, 2012
Asheville, NC
(My apologies for the tardy updates; apparently Batman has not equipped every Greyhound bus with wifi yet.) So, after an uneventful overnight bus trip from Atlanta, I arrived in Asheville, North Carolina at about 8:30 a.m. This was a last minute substitution after I found out my friend in Chattanooga was going to be out of town while I was passing through. Upon arrival and after a short walk from the station, through something called Beaucatcher tunnel to downtown Asheville, I stumbled across a brand new visitors' center. The kindly gentleman at the desk (who had recently retired there from Monroe, Louisiana) directed me to the much fancier visitors' center, where I caught a historical trolley tour. I drew the short straw on tour guides, but even his hypnotic monotone couldn't conceal that there is some neat stuff in Asheville, like the Grove Park Inn and the River Arts District. Also quite a few microbreweries, of which I only had time to sample two, which were just fine but no NOLA Brewing. I can also speak highly of the Tupelo Honey Cafe, which had a good fried chicken BLT and a stupendous peach lemonade.
On the whole, I found the place to be a little bobo, but I mean that in a descriptive rather than derogatory way. Basically, it seems like a great place if you have a lot of time and money. I hope that is me at some point and I can visit again. The architecture is diverse and well-preserved, and I'd like to see all the museums and historical houses that were closed on Mondays.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment