Spent the past five days hanging out with family, in Southern California and then in Utah. California is odd. Unlike any other place I visited this trip, I found myself constantly imagining what it would be like wiped clean of all human presence. Not that I'm wishing catastrophe on California, I just wonder what it was like in a pristine state; maybe because it's so spread out with quasi-untouched interstitial bits, while in every other place I visited for any length of time I stayed in a single urban area. I don't know. But the weather has been very nice.
I'm glad the trip worked out this way, with a lot of R&R at the end. I am enjoying myself but there's not a whole lot that would interest the public, except that today I went to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. If I may paraphrase our Vice President, that is a pretty big f'n canyon. I could barely even process what I was seeing. It's like a negative mountain. I'm just going to steal a much more eloquent line from somebody else, who was quoted in the visitors center:
"Dimension means nothing to the senses, and all we are left with is a troubled sense of immensity."--Clarence Dutton
The thought of going through Texas on the bus was just too daunting so tomorrow I catch an afternoon flight back home out of Las Vegas.
No comments:
Post a Comment