Very good weekend. Saturday started off low-key with breakfast with my host in Arlington, then perusing the Eastern Market and lunch at a nice French bistro and cstching up with a different friend from law school and his lovely family unit. A very calm and enjoyable way to pass the time, especially because it was something like 105 outside. Then it was back on the Greyhound to the Jersey Shore. Still another good friend from school who was already up there visiting family invited me to stay and experience the joys of Ocean City, New Jersey: America's Greatest Family Resort. The town does not disappoint. I walked on the boardwalk, ate caramel corn, donuts, and a great crab cake sandwich, and took a dip in the Atlantic. A jaded person might see it as tacky or dull, but I think it has a refreshing timeless quality to it that can be appreciated on a purely unironic level. It was not at all what I imagined when I thought of the Jersey Shore and I was happy to have my misconceptions corrected. Not only that, I can't say thanks enough to my friend and her parents, who took me into their home, fed me delicious home cooking, lent me swimming trunks (the one necessity I now realize I failed to pack), and just made me feel unconditionally welcome. Dinner is on me next time y'all are in New Orleans.
Now it is off to sleep. When I wake up, I will be in Boston, if all goes according to plan. Which it has so far, barely--more to come on the vagaries of bus travel later.
No comments:
Post a Comment