"But it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio." --Lafcadio Hearn
Tuesday, July 17, 2012
Monday, July 16: Spokane, WA
The overnight leg from Billings to Missoula was unpleasant. The air conditioning was struggling, the seats were more uncomfortable than normal, the babies were squalling, and there were a fair number of boisterous drunk people, including a woman who was much too old to be flirting with a group of guys from North Dakota who probably weren't old enough to drink. Somebody started playing country music on a phone speaker and the back half of the bus degenerated into a honky tonk bar. Sustained sleep was not possible and my perception of time started warping. But, eventually it was over and after another transfer I got to my hometown of Spokane in the afternoon. I took a bus from the quite nice downtown bus plaza to the old homestead to freshen up, and then went on a brief stroll around the old 'hood: elementary and middle school, local grocery store (renovated), and the like. Then I started meeting up with the old gang. Took another nice walk around Riverfront Park (site of Expo '74!) and then pizza and beers. I hadn't seen most of these guys for years and I've been remiss at keeping in touch, but I felt welcomed. Thanks, guys.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Did not know you were originally from Spokane!
ReplyDelete