Monday, July 2, 2012

Atlanta, On The Hottest Day Ever!

Or tied for hottest with the day before. My timing is impeccable. So the day began with an on-time arrival to the Atlanta station, which is adjacent to a Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority (MARTA) station. A quick and painless rail ride and a short walk brought me to the Atlanta Aquarium right when it opened. The Aquarium has the only whale sharks in captivity in North America, and I have to admit those are some impressive fish. If you go, the dolphin show is skippable, unless you are or are with a six-year-old. Next was a visit to the Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site. I highly recommend it. The visitor's center has an informative installation about Dr. King's life and work. And seeing his gravesite (and the people from all walks of life who also came to see it) was very moving. Then it was back on the MARTA to the High Musem. I liked the modern art collection in particular. There were several interesting Louisiana-related photography exhibits too, about environmental damage from the chemical industry and the erosion of the Coast. Finally, I took a bus to try a burger place that was recommended to me. I got a chorizo burger with basically an entire breakfast as condiments, some fried pickles, and a cucumber martini served with dry ice or liquid nitrogen or something that I was supposed to wait to quit smoking before I could take a sip. It was all excellent. Then I walked to a weird neighborhood/mall, bought a long-sleeved shirt to address the bus refrigeration issue, and saw Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter. It was not great but it was air-conditioned. All in all, I had a full and entertaining day in Atlanta without succumbing to heat stroke. This sets a good precedent.

1 comment:

  1. Joe,
    Yikes, hard to imagine 106 plus humidity. These are verbatim questions from
    Grandma: "When can you bathe?" "Are you having fun?" "who is the most interesting person you have met (or observed) while riding the bus?"

    xo from the cooler coast

    ReplyDelete