"But it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio." --Lafcadio Hearn
Monday, October 21, 2013
Nice Weekend: 10/18-20
Friday night we went to The Mortuary, an annual haunted house set up every Halloween season in an actual old mortuary. This year's theme was a zombie outbreak. When we got there, a couple of blood donation trucks had set up outside offering free VIP admission for a donation. It would have been funnier if it was a vampire theme, but I hadn't donated blood in a couple of years (and VIP tickets are thirty-five bucks) so that's what we did. The Mortuary was a lot of fun, although it was crowded enough that it was mostly watching the people ahead get scared instead of being scared. Still, I got a good jolt or two out of it. I probably don't need to go to any more haunted houses for the foreseeable future, at least until I can visit Eastern State Penitentiary at Halloween.
On Saturday, I voted in a local election. Want to know what politics can get like down here? I got this in the mail:
Then on Saturday night I attended a lovely wedding at a house on Esplanade Avenue. It was my kind of wedding: joyous, festive, and not too formal--the programs were printed on a brown paper bag, in which there was a beer). Very fun.
Among all that I had a breakfast at Artz Bagelz (good bagel, mediocre everything else); a pig-in-a-blanket with some fancy name and a donut at the newly-opened District, subtitled "donuts sliders brew" (promising but they'll need to work on the ordering bottleneck); and a cheeseburger at The Company Burger (first time I've been there in years, and very good).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment