Friday, October 18, 2013

New Orleans Film Festival: Thursday 10/17

All the sitting and popcorn and Junior Mints finally took its toll on Thursday; I had tickets for two more movies than I could physically take, so all I managed to see on the last day of the festival was:

Le Week-End: Now this is how you do a drama about a disintegrating marriage.  An aging English couple takes a weekend trip to Paris to celebrate their thirtieth wedding anniversary and have adventures.  They bicker, they kiss, they dine-and-dash, they run into Jeff Goldblum at his Goldblummiest, they come to terms.  Very charming.

Birdbath: I'm going to be honest, I fell asleep through most of the middle of this one.  Not out of any fault of the film, I quite liked the acting in the parts I was awake, but the film festival grind finally got to me.  It was preceded by a lovely short film, Samnang, about a taciturn widowed Cambodian donut maker who makes a connection with someone else.  A fine story gracefully told.

Touchy-Feely: A wispy movie about a masseuse who becomes nauseated by touching other people, her bike-shop-employee boyfriend, her niece who has a crush on the boyfriend, and her uptight dentist brother who takes energy-healing lessons from Allison Janney.  And the guy from Office Space is in there too for some reason.  There were some good chuckles but that's about it.

And because I was damn tired I skipped 16 Acres and Bayou Maharajah; I was sad to miss that last one because I contributed to the Kickstarter to fund it.  I'm getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment