Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Recent shows

5/29/13: The Features at the Hi-Ho Lounge. I really like this band. I first heard them in the credits to an excellent PBS documentary series about circus folk, bought the album, and was immediately hooked. They're touring in connection with a new album, which is just as good as their older stuff. And they're great live, too; I caught them last year at One Eyed Jack's but missed them when they played Voodoo Fest, so I was very much looking forward to this show, and I was not disappointed. If only the crowd had been a little bigger, but it was Wednesday at the Hi-Ho, so I understand. Anyway, I can't wait until they come back.
6/4/13: Tipitina's, and the first show I've ever gone to for the opening act rather than the headliner. Shovels & Rope rock. A married duo out of Charleston, they are rowdy, vibrant, and they look more excited to be performing than almost any band that I've seen recently. Here, this post (towards the bottom) puts it better than I can. Shovels & Rope opened and just owned the room last night, so the hard act to follow was followed by some guys named Dawes. I will confess to being unfamiliar with Dawes (other than as a recurring punchline among the commenters at the AV Club). They seemed to be a pretty mellow rock group, which was a weird tonal combination with Shovels & Rope. I didn't stay for their whole set. Not much else to report from the show other than the guy on the balcony who was inordinately amused at seeing his ex-girlfriend crying in the front row.

No comments:

Post a Comment