Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Movies in New Orleans

I have been seeing quite a few movies recently, so I may as well blog about the viewing options down here. First, there are your regular multiplexes. AMC has big theaters in Harahan and on the West Bank, and those are worth the drive for big-screen IMAX-type stuff. That's generally where I see blockbusters (Iron Man 3, the new Star Trek, and the like). Then there's the Canal Place theaters. No kids allowed and there are (pricy) food and beverage options. It also gets a good mix of mainstream and artsy films. The servers darting in and out during the movie can occasionally be intrusive, but other than that I like it.
But not as much as I like The Prytania Theatre. This place is great: a single-screen hold-out with a lot of different programming. Mainstream releases, midnight cult movies, Sunday morning classics (I saw Casablanca for the first time there), the Film-O-Rama film festival, and a children's movie series (sweet, I just noticed they're playing Muppet Treasure Island in July). It's part of the fabric of the town (Ignatius J. Reilly yelled at movies at The Prytania in A Confederacy of Dunces), it's coming up on its hundred-year anniversary, and I hope it's here for a long time to come.
The Prytania also works with the New Orleans Film Society, of which I am a proud member, to put on the Film-O-Rama. The Society does some great work. They put on New Orleans Film Festival every hear with a consistently fascinating and eclectic selection, especially the curated shorts series (high point of last year: seven short films on the theme of "How to Dispose of a Body"). And the NOFS partners with other local theaters too; they put on three screenings of Upstream Color at the Chalmette movie theater a few weeks back. (Everybody should go see it, by the way, it is mind-bendingly good.)

No comments:

Post a Comment