Wednesday, June 20, 2012

First post!

Hello, my friends!  Joe here.  This is the blog where I'll be posting about my upcoming Greyhound bus trip/adventure/debacle.  More to come later.  The name of the blog comes from one of my favorite quotes about New Orleans, by Lafcadio Hearn:
"Times are not good here. The city is crumbling into ashes. It has been buried under a lava flood of taxes and frauds and maladministrations so that it has become only a study for archaeologists. Its condition is so bad that when I write about it, as I intend to do soon, nobody will believe I am telling the truth. But it is better to live here in sackcloth and ashes than to own the whole state of Ohio."

1 comment:

  1. One of my very favorite quotes about New Orleans as well. Right up there with:

    “The only excursion of my life outside of New Orleans took me through the vortex to the whirlpool of despair: Baton Rouge. . . . New Orleans is, on the other hand, a comfortable metropolis which has a certain apathy and stagnation which I find inoffensive.”

    ― John Kennedy Toole, A Confederacy of Dunces

    ReplyDelete