Sunday, March 17, 2013

Recent activities.

Meals at: Cochon (fried chicken livers with pepper jelly, duck and dumplings); Cafe Degas (blanquette de veau); Maurepas (all kinds of stuff, but especially the delicious Spicy Lemongrass Grilled Shrimp with Strawberry Glazed Pork Ribs and Strawberry Crab Kimchee created by a local high school student; and pizza from Domenica, a sandwich from the Milk Bar, and pork-and-slaw tacos from Juan's, and a crawfish sausage with crawfish etoufee on top from Dat Dog. Oh yeah, and the Louisiana Oyster Jubilee, where I ate a few slivers of a block-long oyster po-boy.


At the the Circle Bar I sawFilligar, a very energetic band that could stand to trim their songs a bit. At the the Sugar Mill I saw a pretty rocking show:

The Alabama Shakes rocked the roof off, Michael Kiwanuka is a seriously groovy dude, and I liked Sam Doores, Riley Downing and the Tumbleweeds more than I like most country music.

To nerd it up, I went to "Text, Drugs, and Protocol," an archaeology lecture about medieval medical textbooks. It's easy to think that they didn't know anything in the dark ages, but by accident or not they actually stumbled across some effective treatments. If I get bored and can find access, the Journal of Ethnopharmacology could make for some interesting reading.

The Italian-American Marching Club St. Joseph's Day parade, featuring, you guessed it, Frank Stallone:

And I attended the Irish Channel St. Patrick's Day parade, too. All in all, a good week and a half.

3 comments:

  1. I should call you the most interesting bubble cigar man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read an article about the medical research done during The Middle Ages and how it was discounted during the renaissance, because it was cooler to quote ancient Greek and Roman scholars. Blew my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is making me very jealous!

    ReplyDelete