The Archaeological Institute of America, in conjunction with Loyola, puts on a few free evening lectures a year from visiting scholars discussing their areas of research. I've heard talks about Klondike gold rush ghost ships, the spectacle of war in the ancient war, the proper interpretation of Augustus's breastplate on a famous statue, and Viking longships. For the same reasons I try to go to the opera once a year, I think the talks broaden my horizons a bit. This past Wednesday, I went to one on Armenian religious arts and crafts from Istanbul. It ran long, but there were some purdy pictures of some bitchin' needlepoint. And the title of the post is the takeaway line, which the speaker used to sum up why so much fancy and expensive stuff was donated to the Armenian Orthodox church. I just thought it was funny. Next up, "Text, Drugs, and Protocol in Medieval Medicine." I have to go just for the title.
Also, if anyone down here is interested in this kind of thing, they're doing a little membership drive. If they can't get a few more members of the New Orleans chapter, then they'll cut one sponsored talk per year. It's a little pricey, but the magazine you get with membership is really good.
No comments:
Post a Comment