Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Recent Goings-on

Quick sum-up of eating and activities, not in any particular order:
Wayfare on Freret: I had a daily special eggplant sandwich which sounded better than anything on the regular menu; it was quite good, but on the whole seemed a buck or two too expensive.  Probably not going in the regular rotation but I may go back for meat pies and a beer.
Dat Dog: Still amazing.
Theo's but for lunch: a quite good caprese-style grilled cheese sandwich.
Breakfast at Stanley with an old buddy from New York: I liked the Eggs Stanley but I think it's worth paying extra to go to Atchafalaya.
Free Christmas concert by Jeremy Davenport at St. Louis Cathedral.
Watching FSU win the championship at Tracey's: good sports bar.
Front row for the Amazing Acro-Cats at the Allways: I saw a cat play the cowbell.  It blew my mind.
Brunch at the Country Club: Excellent breakfast burrito, bottomless mimosas, and a Christmas drag show.  What's not to like?  (That reminds me: while in Hawaii, at a day-after-wedding breakfast with mimosas, somebody said that you can keep a bottle of champagne from going flat by putting a spoon in the neck of the bottle.  My mom asked me if I had heard that before, and I was forced to respond that I've never seen a bottle of champagne open long enough to go flat.)
Chinese food from Jung's Golden Dragon on Christmas Eve: possibly the best General Tso's chicken I've ever had.
Shopping at the Bloomin' Deals: Christmas-themed coffee mugs and cookie cutters, three hardback books, and a pizza cutter for seven bucks.
Celebration in the Oaks: Yeah, it's a little corny, but it was also festive and romantic.  We went up on the ferris wheel and had a nice view of the skyline.  Also, I am concerned about that ferris wheel: while we were waiting in line, it started making some troubling screeching noises, and the operator quickly walked away saying "I'm not going to be under it when that thing collapses."  I swear that is what I heard her say.
New Year's Eve on a bywater apartment building roof with friends, watching professional and amateur fireworks all across the city.

Separate post with recent pictures forthcoming.  Also, sometime before Saturday, I'll post about the Saints.

No comments:

Post a Comment