Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Fort Lauderdale and Miami, FL: 9/12

This was my first visit to South Florida. I kinda like it. First of all, the public transportation system is great; regional rail from Fort Lauderdale to Miami, rail in Miami itself (comparable to Atlanta's), a free downtown people mover (similar to Portland's but elevated so better), and an easy-to-navigate bus system. I was really impressed. I only had about half a day to explore, so I went to Miami Beach, walked along the water and Ocean Drive and took a gander at the art deco district (meh). I also stumbled across a couple of museums. First, the Wolfsonian Museum of 20th century design and inventions, which had a couple of interesting temporary exhibits on food and the female athlete, but a so-so permanent collection. Second, the World Erotic Art Museum, which was not all that erotic or artistic. There was just too much stuff, most of it poorly labeled, and it was grouped so that modern recreations were next to older things next to junk made for tourists. Not worth fifteen bucks, in my opinion.
Then I headed back to downtown Miami, wandered around a bit, and checked out HistoryMiami, a nicely done museum of South Florida history and culture. Then I went to a hotel in Coconut Grove, which sucks (the place, not the hotel).

No comments:

Post a Comment